Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Assistant Professor of Optical Sciences
Dr. Zheshen Zhang is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering and the James C. Wyant College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona. He received the B.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University in 2006 and the Ph.D. degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2011. During his Ph.D. studies, Zhang split his time between Georgia Tech’s main campus in Atlanta and its Lorraine campus in Metz, France. Prior to joining the University of Arizona in 2017, Dr. Zhang was a Research Scientist at MIT.
Dr. Zhang's research encompasses a broad swath of the experimental and theoretical aspects of quantum information science. Dr. Zhang studies unique quantum phenomena such as entanglement and leverage these quantum phenomena in quantum-optics and nanophotonic platforms to implement devices and systems for quantum communications, quantum sensing, and quantum computing. Dr. Zhang's research gives rise to novel applications in diverse fields ranging from non-invasive sensing to telecommunications with provable security.
- Ph.D. Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2017 - Ongoing)
- Massachuestts Institute of Technology (2015 - 2017)
- Massachuestts Institute of Technology (2012 - 2015)
Intro to Comp Meth in MSE
MSE 280 (Fall 2021)
MSE 280 (Fall 2020)
MSE 280 (Fall 2019)
MSE 280 (Fall 2018)
Fund Materials for Engr
MSE 331R (Spring 2020)
MSE 331R (Spring 2019)
Num Meth In Mat Sci+Engr
MSE 350 (Fall 2017)
MSE 360L (Spring 2021)
MSE 360L (Spring 2020)
MSE 360L (Spring 2019)
OPTI 392 (Spring 2021)
MSE 498 (Spring 2021)
MSE 498 (Spring 2020)
MSE 498 (Fall 2019)
MSE 499 (Summer I 2018)
OPTI 599 (Spring 2019)
OPTI 599 (Fall 2018)
PHYS 599 (Spring 2019)
PHYS 599 (Fall 2018)
PHYS 599 (Spring 2018)
Directed Graduate Research
OPTI 792 (Spring 2021)
OPTI 792 (Fall 2020)
OPTI 792 (Spring 2020)
OPTI 792 (Fall 2019)
MSE 900 (Fall 2019)
MSE 900 (Spring 2019)
MSE 900 (Fall 2018)
OPTI 920 (Spring 2021)
OPTI 920 (Fall 2020)
OPTI 920 (Spring 2020)
PHYS 920 (Fall 2021)
PHYS 920 (Spring 2021)
PHYS 920 (Fall 2020)
PHYS 920 (Spring 2020)
PHYS 920 (Fall 2019)
- , B. W., , R. N., , S. L., & , Z. Z. (2020). Quantum-Computing Architecture based on Large-Scale Multi-Dimensional Continuous-Variable Cluster States in a Scalable Photonic Platform. Phys. Rev. Research.
- , C. C., , R. A., , S. G., , N. P., , Q. Z., & , Z. Z. (2020). Wave Function Engineering for Spectrally-Uncorrelated Biphotons in the Telecommunication Band based on a Machine-Learning Framework. Phys. Rev. Applied.
- , H. S., , Z. Z., & , Q. Z. (2020). Practical route to entanglement-assisted communication over noisy bosonic channels. Phys. Rev. Applied.
- , H. S., , Z. Z., , S. P., & , Q. Z. (2020). Entanglement-Assisted Absorption Spectroscopy. Phys. Rev. Lett..
- , S. H., , H. S., , W. L., , Q. Z., & , Z. Z. (2020). Entanglement-Assisted Communication Surpassing the Ultimate Classical Capacity.
- , Y. X., , W. L., , Q. Z., & , Z. Z. (2020). Quantum-enhanced data classification with a variational entangled sensor network.
- , Y. X., , W. L., , W. C., , D. H., , Q. Z., & , Z. Z. (2020). Demonstration of a Reconfigurable Entangled Radiofrequency-Photonic Sensor Network. Phys. Rev. Lett..
- , Z. Z., & , Q. Z. (2020). Distributed Quantum Sensing.
- Zhang, Z. (2021). Development of Quantum Interconnects (QuICs) for Next-Generation Information Technologies. PRX Quantum, 2, 017002.
- , Q. Z., & , Z. Z. (2019). Physical-Layer Supervised Learning Assisted by an Entangled Sensor Network. Phys. Rev. X.
- Cui, C., Arian, R., Guha, S., Peyghambarian, N., Zhuang, Q., & Zhang, Z. (2019). Wave-Function Engineering for Spectrally Uncorrelated Biphotons in the Telecommunication Band Based on a Machine-Learning Framework. PHYSICAL REVIEW APPLIED, 12(3).
- Cui, C., Xia, Y. i., Guha, S., Peyghambarian, N., & Zhang, Z. (2019). Indistinguishable Photon Source in the 1550-nm Band Optimized by Machine Learning. 2019 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO).
- Lee, C., Bunandar, D., Zhang, Z., Steinbrecher, G. R., Ben, D. P., Wong, F., Shapiro, J. H., Hamilton, S. A., & Englund, D. (2019). Large-alphabet encoding for higher-rate quantum key distribution. OPTICS EXPRESS, 27(13), 17539-17549.
- Sarihan, M. C., Chang, K., Cheng, X., Lee, Y. S., Zhong, T., Zhou, H., Zhang, Z., Wong, F., Shapiro, J. H., & Wong, C. W. (2019). High Dimensional Quantum Key Distribution with Biphoton Frequency Combs through Energy-Time Entanglement. 2019 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO).
- Xia, Y. i., Zhuang, Q., Clark, W., & Zhang, Z. (2019). Entanglement-Based Distributed Quantum Sensing Enhanced by Quantum Relays. 2019 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO).
- Award for Excellence at the Student Interface
- College of Engineering, University of Arizona, Spring 2018