Douglas A. Loy
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Douglas A. Loy is a Professor of Materials Science & Engineering at the University of Arizona with a joint appointment in the Chemistry Department. His group’s research interests include materials relating to energy, sol-gel chemistry and processing, and fuel cells. He received his BS (Chemistry) from the University of Arizona in 1984 where he worked in the polymer labs of Professors James E. Mulvaney and Henry K. Hall. He received a masters in organic chemistry from Northern Arizona University, studying polymeric inhibitors of ice nucleation. He received his Ph.D (Organic Chemistry) from the University of California at Irvine in 1991 where he studied the chemistry of, polyacrylimidates, bridged polysilsesquioxanes, and bridged siliconates in the laboratory of Professor Kenneth Shea. He was a postdoctoral associate for a year in Sandia National Laboratories Fuel Science Division where he conducted research on the physics and chemistry of fullerenes. In 1991, he became staff at Sandia, eventually becoming a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff. His research interests focused on sol-gel science, fuel cell membranes, and thermally removable materials. He was the project leader of a Grand Challenge project (9M) at Sandia focusing on the development of Bio-MicroFuel Cells. In 2003, he went to Los Alamos National Laboratory for two years to lead the Nanomaterials Synthesis Team before coming to Arizona in 2005. He has published over 100 peer reviewed papers & proceedings, 47 conference proceedings, seven book chapters, and 16 patents.
- Ph.D. Chemistry
- University of California Irvine, Irvine, California
- Bridged polysilsesquioxanes, aryl bridged siliconates and polysiliconates
- M.S. Chemistry
- Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
- Synthesis of Tannin-like polymers
- B.S. Chemistry
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
- Professor of Materials Science and Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2005 - Ongoing)
- Team Leader, Los Alamos National Laboratory (2003 - 2005)
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories (1991 - 2003)
- Employee Recognition Award for Meritorious Achievement for “Cermet Fabrication and Product Realization Team"
- Sandia National Laboratories, Winter 1999
- Catalyst Award, 1st Place
- University of Arizona, Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, Spring 2018
- Arizona Center for Accelerated BioMedical Innovation (ACABI) Fellow
- Arizona Center for Accelerated BioMedical Innovation, Fall 2017
- I2 Expo Inventor of the Year Physical Sciences
- Tech Launch Arizona, Spring 2017
- Catalyst Award (5th Place)
- Chemistry and Biochemistry Department, University of Arizona, Spring 2017
- Foreign Expert
- Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, Peoples Republic of China, Summer I 2015
- Visiting Scientist - Peoples Republic of China Foreign Expert
- Harbin Institute of Technology, PRC, Summer I 2014
- MSE Faculty Fellow
- MSE Department, University of Arizona, Spring 2012
- College of Engineering Teaching Award
- COE, University of Arizona, Spring 2009
- Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
- Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM, Fall 2001
Sol-gel science (MSE 425/525), Polymer Science for Engineers (MSE 460/560), Proposal writing for engineers (Eng 502), Advanced Topics in Organic Chemistry (Chem 546), Polymer Chemistry (CHM 543B), Organic Chemistry (CHM 241a&b), Materials Science for Engineers (MSE 331R), Materials Chemistry (MSE 110)
Sol-gel science, polysilsesquioxanes, nanoparticles, aerogels, sunscreens, tetrazine based materials, new polymer electrolyte synthesis, Diels Alder polymerizations, reversible and reworkable polymers, adhesives for art conservation, anti-fouling coatings, solid state and gel storage of fuels for fuel cells.
CHEM 920 (Spring 2018)
MSE 920 (Spring 2018)
CHEM 920 (Fall 2017)
MSE 920 (Fall 2017)
CHEM 920 (Spring 2017)
MSE 920 (Spring 2017)
CHEM 920 (Fall 2016)
MSE 920 (Fall 2016)
CHEM 492 (Spring 2018)
CHEM 392 (Fall 2017)
CHEM 492 (Fall 2016)
Chemistry Majors Colloquium
CHEM 395A (Spring 2018)
CHEM 900 (Spring 2018)
MSE 900 (Spring 2018)
CHEM 900 (Fall 2017)
MSE 900 (Fall 2017)
CHEM 900 (Spring 2017)
MSE 900 (Spring 2017)
CHEM 900 (Fall 2016)
MSE 900 (Fall 2016)
Exchange Chemical Info
CHEM 695B (Spring 2018)
CHEM 695B (Fall 2017)
CHEM 695B (Spring 2017)
CHEM 695B (Fall 2016)
Materials Sci Polymers
MSE 460 (Spring 2018)
MSE 560 (Spring 2018)
MSE 560 (Spring 2017)
MSE 460 (Spring 2017)
Fund Materials for Engr
MSE 331R (Spring 2018)
MSE 525 (Fall 2017)
MSE 425 (Fall 2017)
OPTI 425 (Fall 2017)
MSE 425 (Fall 2016)
MSE 525 (Fall 2016)
Lecture Organic Chem
CHEM 241B (Summer I 2017)
CHEM 241B (Summer I 2016)
Adv Organic Chemistry
CHEM 546 (Spring 2017)
MSE 910 (Spring 2017)
MSE 910 (Fall 2016)
Research Proposal Prep
MSE 502 (Fall 2016)
MSE 499 (Fall 2016)
- Loy, D. A. (2017). Mesoporous Polysilsesquioxanes: Preparation, Properties, and Applications. In Handbook of Sol-Gel Science and Technology. Springer.
- Song, W., Li, Z., Li, Y., You, H., Qi, P., Liu, F., & Loy, D. A. (2018). Facile sol-gel coating process for anti-biofouling modification of poly (vinylidene fluoride) microfiltration membrane based on novel zwitterionic organosilica. JOURNAL OF MEMBRANE SCIENCE, 550, 266-277.
- Bagge, R. E., Mauldin, T. C., Boday, D. J., Kobilka, B. M., & Loy, D. A. (2017). Transforming Polybutadiene with Tetrazine Click Chemistry into Antioxidant Foams That Fluoresce with Oxidation. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS, 29(18), 7953-7960.
- McFadden, P. D., Frederick, K., Argueello, L. A., Zhang, Y., Vandiver, P., Odegaard, N., & Loy, D. A. (2017). UV Fluorescent Epoxy Adhesives from Noncovalent and Covalent Incorporation of Coumarin Dyes. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, 9(11), 10061-10068.
- Frederick, K. M., Boday, D. J., Unangst, J., Stover, R. J., Li, Z., Budy, S., & Loy, D. A. (2016). Photochemical strengthening of silica aerogels modified with coumarin groups. JOURNAL OF NON-CRYSTALLINE SOLIDS, 432, 189-195.
- Muriithi, B., & Loy, D. A. (2016). Proton conductivity of Nafion/ex-situ sulfonic acid-modified Stober silica nanocomposite membranes as a function of temperature, silica particles size and surface modification.. Membranes (Basel, Switzerland), 6(1), 12/1-12/14.
- Tolbert, S. H., McFadden, P. D., & Loy, D. A. (2016). New Hybrid Organic/Inorganic Polysilsesquioxane-Silica Particles as Sunscreens. ACS APPLIED MATERIALS & INTERFACES, 8(5), 3160-3174.
- Boday, D. J., Muriithi, B., Stover, R. J., & Loy, D. A. (2015). Polyaniline nanofiber-silica composite aerogels. JOURNAL OF NON-CRYSTALLINE SOLIDS, 358(12-13), 1575-1580.
- Budy, S., Jin, J., Loy, D., & Iacono, S. (2015). Synthesis and characterization of semifluorinated polyarylene copolymers. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 249.
- Jamison, G. M., Wheeler, D. R., Loy, D. A., & Ziller, J. W. (2015). Double phosphaalkyne insertion to a tungsten alkylidene: Formation of a diphosphametallabicyclobutane. ORGANOMETALLICS, 24(10), 2245-2247.
- Loy, D. A., Obrey-DeFriend, K. A., Wilson Jr., K. V., Minke, M., Baugher, B. M., Baugher, C. R., Schneider, D. A., Jamison, G. M., & Shea, K. J. (2015). Influence of the alkoxide group, solvent, catalyst, and concentration on the gelation and porosity of hexylene-bridged polysilsesquioxanes. JOURNAL OF NON-CRYSTALLINE SOLIDS, 362, 82-94.
- Wang, H., Liu, L. i., Huang, Y., Wang, D. i., Hu, L., & Loy, D. A. (2015). Enhancement Corrosion Resistance of (gamma-Glycidyloxypropyl)-Silsesquioxane-Titanium Dioxide Films and Its Validation by Gas Molecule Diffusion Coefficients Using Molecular Dynamics (MD) Simulation. POLYMERS, 6(2), 300-310.
- Boday, D. J., Stover, R. J., Muriithi, B., & Loy, D. A. (2014). Mechanical properties of hexylene- and phenylene-bridged polysilsesquioxane aerogels and xerogels. JOURNAL OF SOL-GEL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 61(1), 144-150.
- Boday, D. J., Stover, R. J., Muriithi, B., & Loy, D. A. (2014). Strong, low density, hexylene- and phenylene-bridged polysilsesquioxane aerogel-polycyanoacrylate composites. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS SCIENCE, 46(19), 6371-6377.
- Boday, D. J., Tolbert, S., Keller, M. W., Li, Z., Wertz, J. T., Muriithi, B., & Loy, D. A. (2014). Non-hydrolytic formation of silica and polysilsesquioxane particles from alkoxysilane monomers with formic acid in toluene/tetrahydrofuran solutions. JOURNAL OF NANOPARTICLE RESEARCH, 16(3).
- Budy, S. M., & Loy, D. A. (2014). Highly Sulfonated Polyelectrolytes Through Friedel-Crafts Sulfonylation of Polyarylenes. JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY, 52(10), 1381-1384.
- Bagge, R., Boday, D., & Loy, D. (2016). Polybiphenylenes by cycloaddition co-polymerizatation of 1,2,4,5-tetrazines with 1,4-diethynylbenzene..
- Bagge, R., Boday, D., & Loy, D. (2016). Tetrazines as polydiene modifiers and blowing agents..
- Frederick, K., Odegaard, N., Vandiver, P., & Loy, D. (2016). Reversible, photocurable epoxy based resins..
- Loy, D., Bagge, R., & Boday, D. (2016). New materials using tetrazines as monomers, or polymer modifiers and blowing agents..
- McFadden, P., Bagge, R., Canosa, E., Loy, D., Odegaard, N., & Vandiver, P. (2016). Thermally re-workable epoxy adhesives for use in artifact repair..
- McFadden, P., Bagge, R., Frederick, K., Canosa, E., Loy, D., Odegaard, N., & Vandiver, P. (2016). Developing epoxies for art conservation: Reworkable and fluorescent adhesives..
- McFadden, P., Frederick, K., Arguello, L., Odegaard, N., Vandiver, P., & Loy, D. (2016). Coumarin-based fluorescent tag for art conservation epoxy visualization..
- Budy, S. M., Jin, J., Loy, D. A., & Iacono, S. T. (2015). Synthesis and characterization of semifluorinated polyarylene copolymers..
- Loy, D. A., & Tolbert, S. (2015). Development of new siloxane modified particles as stabilized active ingredients for sunscreens..
- Canosa, E. M., Frederick, K. M., Loy, D. A., Vandiver, P., & Odegaard, N. (2014). Thermally re-workable epoxy adhesives for use in artifact repair..
- Loy, D. A. (2014, December 2014). Polymerization of organotrialkoxysilanes: Formation of polyhedral oligomers, networks of rings and ladder‐like structures. Silicone containing polymers and composites workshop. San Diego, California: American Chemical Society.
- Loy, D. A. (2014, January). Polyarylene Electrolytes. Department of Chemical and biological Engineering Colloquium. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska.
- Loy, D. A. (2014, January). Polyarylene electrolytes. Chemical and Materials Engineering Department Seminar. University of Nebraska, Lincoln: Chemical and Materials Engineering Department.
- Loy, D. A. (2014, July). Membranes, protective coatings and sunscreens: synthesis and applications of polysilsesquioxanes. Harbin Institute of Technology Colloquium. Weihai, Peoples Republic of China.