Conservator, Arizona State Museum
Professor of Anthropology
Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
Nancy is the Head of the Preservation Division at the Arizona State Museum on the campus of the University of Arizona in Tucson where she is also a professor with the Department of Material Science & Engineering, the School of Anthropology, American Indian Studies GIDP, and the Heritage conservation/historic preservation Certificate Program in the College of Architecture, Planning and Landscape Architecture. She leads the effort to preserve the collections of the museum through loans, exhibits, excavations, research, storage, and repatriation; she teaches students at all levels and provides outreach services throughout the region; and she conducts research on topics related to conservation. Born in Minnesota, she moved with her parents to Arizona and then studied for a bachelor’s degree in California with a year abroad in Paris, France followed by graduate studies at George Washington University and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC, and a doctoral degree in Canberra, Australia. She gained early career experience in conservation at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Museo Ixchel in Guatemala, Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and the Peabody Museum at Harvard University. She has worked at the Arizona State Museum since 1983. She has received Fulbright Awards (1991, 2001, 2015), a Winterthur Research Fellowship (2000), an ICCROM Visiting Fellow (2015), a Getty GCI Scholar Fellowship (2007), a Visiting Scholar Award at the American Academy of Rome (2015), and an Honorary Professorship at the Institute of Archaeology- University College London (2014-2018), and visiting. She is a Fellow of the AIC and IIC and received a Commendation Award from the US Department of Justice (2000), AIC Keck Award (2009), the AIC Conservation Advocacy Award (2013), and the Chancellor’s Alumni Award from the University of Canberra (2017). In 2016 she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Gothenburg Sweden (Faculty of Science).
She has led major conservation projects involving survey, tribal consultation, research, treatment, and storage upgrades for collections of pottery, human remains, basketry, textiles, and pesticide residues. Her books include: A Guide to Handling Anthropological Museum Objects (WAAC); Old Poisons New Problems: Information and Resource Guide for Contaminated Cultural Materials in Museum Collections (AltaMira); Curating Human Remains: A Guide for Museums and Academic Institution (AltaMira); and Material Characterization Test for Objects of Art and Archaeology (Archetype).
- Ph.D. Conservation
- University of Canberra, Canberra, ACT, Australia
- Archaeological and Ethnographic Painted Wood Artifacts from the North American Southwest: The Case Study of a Matrix Approach for the Conservation of Cultural Materials
- M.A. Museum Studies; Anthropological Conservation
- George Washington University, Washington DC, DC, USA
- The Conservation of a Guatemalan House Model
- B.A. Art History
- University of Redlands, Redlands, California, USA
- American Indian Studies, GIDP, UA (2017 - Ongoing)
- Heritage Conservation Certificate Program, CAPLA, UA (2012 - Ongoing)
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering - UA (2006 - Ongoing)
- School of Anthropology, UA (2000 - Ongoing)
- Arizona State Museum - University of Arizona (1983 - Ongoing)
- Peabody Museum - Harvard University (1981 - 1983)
Clinical Conservation Methods; Conservation Science Method and Theory; Materials Characterization Techniques; Archaeological Conservation; Preventive Museum Conservation.
Pesticide Poison Residues- Detection and Removal; Conservation of SW ceramic vessels-ancient to historic; Conservation of American Indian Basketry-archaeological and ethnographic; Conservation of Painted Wood Objects; Care and Conservation Concerns for Human Remains; Terminology of hand crafted objects.
ANTH 599 (Summer I 2016)
ANTH 699 (Fall 2019)
ANTH 699 (Spring 2019)
ANTH 699 (Fall 2018)
ANTH 699 (Spring 2018)
ANTH 699 (Fall 2016)
MSE 399 (Summer I 2020)
MSE 399 (Spring 2020)
MSE 499 (Fall 2020)
MSE 499 (Summer I 2020)
MSE 499 (Fall 2019)
MSE 499 (Spring 2019)
MSE 499 (Summer I 2018)
MSE 499 (Fall 2016)
MSE 499 (Spring 2016)
CHEM 498H (Fall 2020)
CHEM 498H (Spring 2020)
MSE 693 (Spring 2019)
ANTH 696A (Spring 2020)
ANTH 696A (Spring 2019)
MSE 900 (Fall 2018)
MSE 900 (Spring 2018)
MSE 900 (Fall 2017)
MSE 900 (Spring 2017)
MSE 900 (Fall 2016)
MSE 900 (Spring 2016)
MSE 910 (Winter 2018)
MSE 910 (Fall 2018)
MSE 910 (Spring 2018)
MSE 910 (Fall 2017)
MSE 910 (Spring 2017)
MSE 920 (Fall 2016)
Licensure & Certification
- Approval Holder Sealed Source, University of Arizona (2015)
- Globally Harmonized System, University of Arizona (2013)
- Advanced Training in Ethnographic and Archaeological Conservation, Smithsonian Institution (1983)
- Approval Holder Research Machine, University of Arizona (2015)
- Chemical Laboratory Safety, University of Arizona (2000)
- RAM Tranporter, University of Arizona (2011)
- Radiation Generating Machine Protection, Univeristy of Arizona (2009)
- Odegaard, N. N., & Pool, M. (2017). An Evolving Approach for the Conservation of Pottery Vessels. In Engaging Conservation: Collaboration Across Disciplines(pp 199-205). London: Archetype.
- Odegaard, N. N., & O'Grady, C. R. (2016). The Conservation Practices for Archaeological Ceramics of Sir Flinders Petrie and Others Between 1880 - 1930. In Recent Advances in Glass and Ceramics Conservation(pp 85-95). Wroclaw, Poland: POZKAL Spólka for the ICOM Committee for Conservation.: POZKAL Spólka for the ICOM Committee for Conservation.
- Anderson, J. R., Odegaard, N., Dawley, M., Farley, D. J., & Zimmt, W. (2014). Coping with Arsenic-Based Pesticides on Textile Collections. In Objects Specialty Group Postprints, Volume 21. S. Davis (ed)(pp 181-204). Washington DC: American Institute for Conservation.
- Gibson, L. T., Higgit, C., Odegaard, N., & Rushworth, I. (2014). Novel Non-Invasive Sensors for the Dectection of Pesticides on Heritage Objects. In ICOM-CC 17th Triennial Preprints, Melbourne, ed. J. Bridgland(pp art. 1602). Paris: International Council of Museums.
- Odegaard, N. (2014). Ceramics: Conservation and Preservation. In Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology, C. Smith (ed)(pp 1315-1318). NY: Springer.
- Odegaard, N., & Cassman, V. (2014). Authentication and Conservation In Archaeological Science. In Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology, C. Smith (ed.)(pp 702-711). NY: Springer.
- Odegaard, N., Bott, S., Hamraz, M., Jeffery, R. B., & Rawan, A. (2014). Professional Education for Afghan Cultural Heritage Faculty. In ICOM-CC 17th Triennial Conference Preprints, Melbourne, ed. J. Bridgeland(pp electronic). art. 0405: International Council of Museums.
- Odegaard, N., Pool, M., & Watkinson, G. (2014). Woven Wonders: Revitalizing Collections and Community Relationships. In ICOM-CC 17th Triennial Conference, Melbourne. ed. J. Bridgland(pp art 0405). Paris: International Council of Museums.
- Odegaard, N., Pool, M., Bisucla, C., Santarelli, B., Neiman, M., & Watkinson, G. (2014). Pine Pitch: New Treatment Protocols for a Brittle and Crumbly Conservation Problem. In Objects Specialty Group Postprints, Volume 21. S. Davis (ed)(pp 21-41). Washington DC: American Institute for Conservation.
- Odegaard, N. N., Basulca, C., & Pool, M. (2017). A Survey of Plant and Insect Exudates in the Archaeology of Arizona. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports, 15, 272-281.
- Odegaard, N. N., McFadden, P. D., Frederick, K., Arguello, L. A., Vandiver, P., & Loy, D. A. (2017). UV Fluorescent Epoxy Adhesives from Noncovalent and Covalent Incorporation of Coumarin Dyes. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 9(11), 10061-10068. doi:10.1021/acsmi.6b13218
- Odegaard, N. N. (2016). The O-Toluidine Test for Plant Carbohydrates. Journal of the American Institute for Conservation, 55(4), 217-227.
- Odegaard, N. N., & Cassman, V. (2016). The Conservation of Human Remains: Ethical Questions and Experiences in America. Technè, 44, 18-21.
- Odegaard, N. N., Pack, C., Pool, M., Dawley, M., Jenkins, S., & Watkinson, G. (2016). Woven Wonders: Saving Basketry at the Arizona State Museum. KIVA, 82(4), 403-420.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2017, spring). Mending Baskets: Revisiting Older Approaches with New Techniques and Inventing Better Solutions. AIC. Chicago IL: AIC.
- Odegaard, N. N., Canosa, E., & Dawley, M. (2017, Spring). NAGPRA and Conservation: Documenting Repatriation Materials from the Perspective of a Conservation Professional. AIC. Chicago, IL: AIC.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2016, Spring). What was Going on around here during Shakespeare's time. Shakespear Folio Exhibit compliment display in Conservation Lab Window. Arizona State Museum: Arizona State Museum.
- Odegaard, N. N., & Anderson, J. R. (2016, May). Investigation into the Removal of Arsenic Based Pesticides on Feathers. 42nd Annual Conference of the American Institute for Conservation. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: American Institute for Conservation.
- Odegaard, N. N., & Lindsey, W. (2016, October). Corn and Tobacco Residue Studies in Ceramic Vessels. Materials Science & Technology 16 Conference. Salt Lake City, UT: American Ceramic Society (ACerS), Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST), ASM International, Metallurgy and Materials Society of CIM (MetSoc), NACE International, and The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS)..
- Odegaard, N. N., & Lindsey, W. (2016, Spring). Investigation of Carbon Dioxide Snow to Clean Basketry and Textiles. The Arizona Imaging & Microanalysis Society (AIMS). University of Arizona: Microscopy Society of America.
- Odegaard, N. N., McFadden, P., Bagge, R., Frederick, K., Canosa, E., Loy, D., & Vandiver, P. (2016, August). Developing Epoxies for Art Conservation: Reworkable and Fluorescent Adhesives. Polymer Science for Everyday Things; American Chemical Society. Philadelphia, PA: American Chemical Society.
- Odegaard, N. N., Pool, M., Bisulca, C., Watkinson, G., Burr, E., & Peters, N. (2016, May). Testing a Model for Multi-Faceted Engagement and Maximized Efficiency for Collection Response Under Restricted Time. 42nd Annual Conference of the American Institute for Conservation. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: American Institute for Conservation.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2017, FAll). Safely Handling and Moving Museum Objects: A Tutorial. ATALM. Santa Ana Plueblo, NM: ATALM.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2017, FAll). Woman Ochre; A Stolen deKooning Painting Comes Home. WAAC. University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT: Western Association of Art Conservators.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2017, Fall). Investigating Liquid CO2 to Clean Textiles and Basketry. WAAC. Salt Lake City: Western Association of Art Conservators.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2017, Spring). Hidden Hazards in the Museum Collection. Exposed: A Technical Art History Symposium. University of Arizona Student Union Kiva Room: University Museum of Art.
- Odegaard, N. N., Bisulca, C., & Santarelli, B. (2017, March/April). Characterization of Minerals on Hohokam Palattes. Society of American Archaeology 82nd Annual Meeting. Vancouver, BC, Canada: Society of American Archaeology.
- Odegaard, N. N., Bisulca, C., & Santarelli, B. (2017, Spring). Characterization of Minerals on Hohokam Palettes. Society of American Archaeology. Vancouver BC Canada: SAA.
- Odegaard, N. N., Burr, B., & Farley, J. (2017, Fall). The Up- Down- Front- Back for Navajo Textiles, Part 1 & 2.. ATALM. Santa Ana Pueblo, NM: ATALM.
- Odegaard, N. N., Pool, M., & Bisulca, C. (2017, Spring). Dye Components in Insect Lac (Shellac) in Southwest. Society of Ethnobiology. Montreal, Quebec, Canada: Society of Ethnobiology.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2016, October). Conservation as a Discipline and Doctoral Degrees. University of Gothenburg, Sweden. Gothenburg, Sweden: University of Gothenburg.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2016, October). Woven Wonders: Revitalizing Collections and Community Relations. Presentation to Faculty. University of Oslo, Norway: University of Oslo.
- Odegaard, N. N. (2016, spring). Basketry Conservation Update. Southwest Native Nations Advisory Board Meeting. Arizona State Museum: Arizona State Museum.
- Odegaard, N. N., Bisulca, C., & Pool, M. (2016, spring). Dye Components in Insect Lac (Shellac) of the American Southwest. 39th Annual Conference of the Society of Ethnobiology. University of Arizona Tucson: Society of Ethnobiology.
- Odegaard, N. N., Harrison, A., Watkinson, G., & Pool, M. (2016, Fall). Materials for Storage and Soft Packing. International Conference of Indigenous Archives, Libraries and Museums. Gila River, AZ: ATALM.
- Odegaard, N. N., Pool, M., & Bisulca, C. (2016, November). Adhesives in the American Southwest and Testing for Identification. Western Association for Art Conservators. Old Main, University of Arizona: Western Association of Art Conservators.
- Odegaard, N. N., Pool, M., & Leah, B. (2016, fall). Material for Storage and Soft Packing. Western Museums Association Workshop. Phoenix, AZ Arizona Science Center: Western Museums Association.
- Smith, L., Odegaard, N. N., Pearlstein, E., Kaminitz, M., McHugh, K. M., Lamar-Chavez, C., Vallo, B., Enote, J., & Dawley, M. M. (2017, September). Museums plus Communities: Guidelines for Collaboration. Indian Arts Research Center, School of Advanced Research.
- Chancellor's Alumni Award
- University of Canberra, Fall 2017
- American Indian Studies, GIDP, Fall 2017
- Dark Horse Project Expert
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Education, Summer I 2017
- Honorary Doctorate
- University of GothenburgFaculty of Science, Fall 2016
- Honorary Professorship extension
- University College London, Institute of Archaeology, Fall 2016
- Fulbright Senior Specialist
- Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board and Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the United States Department of State., Summer I 2015
- Visiting Fellow
- ICCROM; InternationalInternational Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration, Spring 2015
- Visiting Scholar
- American Academy of Rome, Spring 2015
- Honorary Visiting Professorship
- Institute of ArchaeologyUniversity College London, Fall 2014
- University of Arizona, Summer I 2014